The Sun Daily
4 minutes
KUALA LUMPUR: Police has confirmed that a police report was lodged against former Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Special Operations Division director Datuk Bahri Mohamad Zain over alleged abuse of power while in office. Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed today that the report had been lodged last year in Kelantan. "We received the report last year if I'm not mistaken. The investigation has been carried out and we have handed over the investigation papers to the Attorney-General's Chambers for further action," Khalid told reporters after launching Ops Selamat 10/ 2017 at the Persada Plus for the upcoming Chinese New Year festive period. "As usual, we have to investigate as there is a report lodged and whatever findings we have will be handed over to the Attorney-General," he said.
The Sun Daily
4 minutes
BAGAN DATUK: The Malaysian Government has yet to decide on rewarding parties which manage to locate the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 jetliner which vanished in 2014. Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said despite receiving such a proposal from various quarters, the government would not decide on the reward until there was strong evidence (on the aircraft). "This proposal (on the reward) came from the transport deputy minister (Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi) and I have also received many suggestions from several parties on how we should continue with the search operations for MH370. "I'm stressing here that we will not make any decision as long as we don't have credible (new) evidence," he told reporters after launching the 'My Perak' official account on WeChat application in Hutan Melintang here today. Liow said although the search for the ill-fated plane spanning over two years was now suspended after it bore no result, this did not mean that the Malaysian Government would permanently cease the (search) operations.
The Sun Daily
5 minutes
GEORGE TOWN: The silver chariot procession is set to leave earlier, at 7pm on Feb 7, during Thaipusam festival this year. Penang Hindu Endowment Board (PHEB) chairman P. Ramasamy said the matter has angered PHEB as the chettiars had decided to do so without consulting them. Ramasamy said he was shocked to learn the matter and said the move was 'irresponsible'. "Thaipusam falls on Feb 9 and the silver chariot procession usually takes of on the eve at 6.30am. "The announcement is made by the Chettiars' representative N Ramanathan and it is reported by Tamil daily Malaysia Nanban today," he told reporters at a press conference in Komtar today (Jan 20). Ramasamy added the Chettiars did not raise the matter during a logistics meeting with police chiefs on Jan 11. He said the Chettiars also did not object the Hilltop Murugan Temple's inaugural golden chariot from leaving 90 minutes before them, at 5am.
The Sun Daily
37 minutes
SHAH ALAM: The amendment to the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) Act to regulate the Uber and Grab services using the e-hailing application is expected to be tabled in the Dewan Rakyat in March. SPAD chairman Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar said the amendment was now being scrutinised by the Attorney-General's Chambers. "The government has recognised the (e-hailing) application. It's just that right now, there is no law or regulation to regulate the (Grab and Uber) services. "Under the amended law, the e-hailing application should be subject to legal provisions which regulate the other existing services. "We have taken into consideration the views from all the relevant agencies and I was told that the amendment will be tabled at the next Parliament meeting," he told reporters after attending the closing parade of SPAD Enforcement Officers Induction and Basic Course here today.
ABC News - Politics
an hour
Voice Of America
2 hours
After a long, contentious presidential election, American voters will have a new leader Friday when Donald Trump becomes the 45th U.S. president. VOA reporters across the United States spoke to Democrats and Republicans, Independents and immigrants about their hopes and their fears for a Trump presidency.
KyivPost
2 hours
The Sun Daily
2 hours
GEORGE TOWN: Blocks E and J of Rifle Range Public Housing is expected to undergo major maintenance after state government officers found cracks on the pillars of each of the aged structures. Speaking at a press conference, Penang Housing exco Jagdeep Singh Deo (pix) said the buildings needed extensive maintenance due to age and damage found on the pillars. "Therefore the state government have decided to start work on the two blocks by next month. A company has been approved and appointed by the state government to carry out the maintenance works," he said. "The total cost of the maintenance works amounts to RM954,000," he told reporters at the state Housing office, Block H of Rifle Range, Jalan Padang Tembak here today. Also present at the event were Kebun Bunga assemblyman Cheah Kah Peng and Bukit Bendara MP Zairil Khir Johari. Jagdeep added the maintenance work would be take five months and estimated to be completed by July this year.
The Sun Daily
3 hours
"This is the different between Penang and other states in the country. In other states, thousands of hectares of hill lands have been used for development, therefore, they experience interrupted water supply. "Penang is the only state in Malaysia that has never had interrupted supply or shortage of water," he told reporters at a press conference after visiting Teluk Bahang Dam. Lim added he was learnt the water capacity in Kedah had just reached between 50% and 60%, therefore, he urge the federal government to conduct cloud-seeding immediately in order to assist Kedah increase the state's water capacity. "It because Penang will be affected if our neighbouring state is lacking of water," he said.
euronews
3 hours
Voice Of America
4 hours
KyivPost
4 hours
DAVOS The last technical issues for granting Ukraine the next tranche of macro-financial assistance could be finalized within the next few days, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Christine Lagarde believes. She told reporters in Davos, Switzerland, after talks with President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko she has every reason to believe a few last technical details to be addressed in the next couple of days would lead to a real positive result. The IMF official noted the meeting with Poroshenko was very effective. The sides discussed a large amount of reforms Ukraine has implemented. According to her, the teams of both sides will work to resolve the outstanding issues regarding the issue of an IMF tranche to Ukraine to achieve the result within a few days. Poroshenko, in turn, emphasized the IMF leadership noted Ukraine's progress on the path of reforms.
TIME - Top Stories
4 hours
Three people, including a young child, have been reported dead and 15 injured after a car sped erratically down a busy street in central Melbourne, striking pedestrians. According to local newspaper the Age , police have arrested a man following the incident near Bourke Street Mall, a popular shopping destination in the city's Central Business District. A male deliberately drove into pedestrians in Bourke Street Mall, a police spokesperson said during a press conference on Friday afternoon. We believe this is connected to an earlier stabbing in the southern metro region. We have the offender in custody. I can also confirm this is not a [terrorism] related incident, the police added. At a second press conference soon after 5pm local time, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told reporters that the three dead victims were a man in his 30s, a woman in her 30s, and a young child.
The Sun Daily - World News
5 hours
PENNE, Italy: At least 25 people, including several children, were feared dead Thursday after a devastating avalanche buried an Italian mountain hotel under snow and mud. Rescue work continued into the night but the prospects of anyone being rescued alive from the ill-fated Hotel Rigopiano looked bleak, with rescue efforts hampered by heavy snow that had blocked access roads to the remote site. The hotel was engulfed by a two-metre (six-feet) high wall of snow late on Wednesday afternoon with the impact powerful enough to rip the three-storey building from its foundations and move it ten metres. "We're holding on to hope that there are survivors inside," Deputy Interior Minister Filippo Bubbico told reporters in the town of Penne, where a camp for rescue workers has been set up. "Firefighters and alpine rescuers are working tirelessly and now the army is doing everything to improve access to the route," he said.
The Sun Daily
5 hours
SYDNEY: Three people died and 20 more were hurt Friday when a car ploughed into pedestrians in the Australian city of Melbourne, but police said it was not a terror attack. Witnesses described "bodies flying through the air" and people running out of the path of the speeding car in the central shopping area. Victoria Police's Acting Commander Stuart Bateson ruled out terrorism but said it was a deliberate act in the heart of Melbourne. "I can confirm that we believe this is connected to an earlier stabbing in the southern metro region," Bateson told reporters. "We have the offender in custody. There is no further threat to the public at this stage. "I can also confirm that this is not a CT (counter-terrorism)-related incident," he added. Bateson said the man was driving in circles at a busy intersection outside the city's main train station in the afternoon.
Voice Of America
6 hours
Bateson said the Melbourne incident had no links to terrorism. “At this present stage, we ask the public to avoid the city,” Bateson told reporters. “It is going to take us a really long time to process this scene. Our priority at the moment is with the injured, and it must be that we give them our attention.” Paramedics were assessing 20 people at the scene, several of whom had serious injuries, Ambulance Victoria said in a statement. Video footage shot from a news helicopter overhead showed several heavily armed police officers standing near the area where the incident occurred. Several officers could be seen standing over a man lying on the sidewalk, clad only in his underwear, his hands apparently handcuffed behind his back. Police could also be seen examining a heavily damaged red car at the scene. A video posted on social media captured the moment the car began driving in circles in the intersection before continuing on toward Bourke Street. The streets around the incident were shut down.
The Sun Daily
6 hours
KUALA LUMPUR: Toronto serial rapist Selva Kumar Subbiah whose prison terms expires end of this month, will be allowed to come back to Malaysia but will be closely monitored when he returns. Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar (pix) said the criminal - Subbiah, 56, is due for mandatory release on January 29 after his 24-year prison terms expires and will be given the privilege to live as a normal citizen as he has served his terms accordingly for the offense committed. "We have no rights to refrain his entry to the country. He has finished his jail term in Canada and will be coming here," he told the reporters at a press conference after launching the national-level Ops Selamat campaign in conjunction with the Chinese New Year celebration here today. Khalid said, however the crime records of the serial rapist will be shared from their counterparts in Canada to the local police force to keep an eye on such criminals.
The Economic Times
7 hours
The Sun Daily
7 hours
KUALA LUMPUR: Toronto serial rapist Selva Kumar Subbiah whose prison terms expires end of this month, will be allowed to come back to Malaysia but will be closely monitored when he returns. Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar (pix) said the criminal - Subbiah, 56, is due for mandatory release on January 29 after his 24-year prison terms expires and will be given the privilege to live as a normal citizen as he has served his terms accordingly for the offense committed. "We have no rights to refrain his entry to the country. He has finished his jail term in Canada and will be coming here," he told the reporters at a press conference after launching the national-level Ops Selamat campaign in conjunction with the Chinese New Year celebration here today. Khalid said, however the crime records of the serial rapist will be shared from their counterparts in Canada to the local police force to keep an eye on such criminals.
The Sun Daily
8 hours
KUALA LUMPUR: Police reports on minor accidents that do not involve injuries can be made on the scene starting tomorrow. Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said police are currently doing a pilot project on this. "The highway investigative unit will go to the scene once they are alerted to the minor accidents and the traffic investigative officers (IO) will be at the scene immediately. "The involved road users can even make a report or give statements on the scene. "If the pilot project is successful, then complainants no longer have to go to a police station to lodge a report. They can do it via mobile phone from the scene. The method of lodging reports will be made easier," he told the reporters at a press conference after launching the national-level Ops Selamat campaign in conjunction with the Chinese New Year celebration here today.
Washingtons Blog
8 hours
Eric Zuesse, originally posted at unz.com Journalismespecially about important matters — is not a profession. It’s a calling. Or else, if it’s not a calling, then it is public relations; it is propaganda, “PR” — done for the purpose of receiving pay, not really for the purpose of conveying truth. But propaganda isnt journalism at all. It’s not merely fakenews’; it is fakejournalism ’. Corporate-ownednews’ is that, but so too is government-ownednews’. That’s the problem: journalism, as it exists, isnt what people think it is, and expect it to be. What is calledjournalism” is actually now just a branch of the PR profession, and doesnt deserve to be trusted more than that. In order to be a staff journalist, one must adhere to the propaganda-aims of the individual(s) (the employer) who control(s) the given ‘newsmedium. No newsmedia-owner hiresreporters’ or editors who report (or allow to be published) facts which contradict that owner’s (or controller’s — because this applies to ‘non-profits' as well) central viewpoint.
TIME - Top Stories
9 hours
Joseph Bondarenko, a Ukranian preacher who served time in prison as a Soviet dissident, prayed in Russian, translated into English, for God to transform the heart of President Putin and his administration and to restore the good relationship between our countries. Prayers often signaled evangelical distrust of the media. Lance Wallnau, a Dallas consultant who has prophesied about Trump, prayed that God would anoint [Trump] to be a wrecking ball let it wreck media strongholds, let it wreck academic strongholds, let it wreck whatever has been destroyed, the continuity of your purpose for America. Fox News columnist Todd Starnes got big cheers when he prayed for revival in Americas newsrooms, and that reporters would reject fake news and embrace the good news. Lord, we know it is going to be a miracle of biblical proportions, but we pray that you would do something with our media, Starnes said.
France 24
9 hours
Voice Of America
10 hours
Hopes of finding survivors dwindled Thursday more than 24 hours after an avalanche struck a luxury mountain hotel in Italy burying up to 30 people under tons of snow and debris. The Civil Protection department said two bodies had been recovered, but its chief said the search for victims and possible survivors would continue through the night. “There is always hope, if there were no hope the rescuers wouldnt give everything they’ve got,” Fabrizio Curcio told reporters. He said his teams would “continue to do everything possible during the night,” even though conditions were far more difficult than in daylight. Quakes then avalanche The disaster struck hours after four earthquakes with a magnitude above 5 hit central Italy. Titti Postiglione, head of the department’s emergency office, said more snow could fall from peaks in the Gran Sasso mountain range in the central Abruzzo region because the temperature was rising, and more quakes were possible.