Derby Telegraph
8 minutes
A young Derby man went to an address he as banned from going to, pulled a large piece of wood from out of his trousers and told people at the address they were dead. Brandon Poyser had been issued with a restraining order forbidding him from going to Warren Street, in Alvaston, after assaulting a former partner by the throat at a party, a court was told. But on August 18 last year police were called after he went there and made the threat with the weapon. Officers went to the...
Informed Comment
an hour
Bournemouth Daily Echo
an hour
The Iran Project
4 hours
At the same time that Donald Trump was gearing up to sign a ten-year, 350 billion USD agreement with the number one sponsor of terrorism in the world in Saudi Arabia, China was hosting a forum on the One Belt, One Road development plan. The forum issued a joint statement of cooperation to guide what is projected to be 1 trillion dollars of investment in infrastructure, trade, and development projects. So far China has signed agreements with 30-40 countries while 50-60 more have voiced support for the initiative. The West has other ideas for the future of the planet. As China uses its vast resources to grow the global economy, the US and its Western allies have spent large portions of their budgets to restrict development. Syria and Libya are quintessential examples of this phenomenon. The West has for over six years armed, funded, and trained proxy forces with partner nations such as Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey.
The Guardian - Books
8 hours
Speaking at the Hay literary festival, the Irish novelist said modern writers should emulate Jane Austen and stop overdoing the backstory Colm Tóibín has issued a rallying call against what he sees as the scourge of modern literature: flashbacks. The Irish novelist said the narrative device was infuriating, with too many writers skipping back and forward in time to fill in all the gaps in a story. Continue reading...
The Cornishman
16 hours
The Sun Daily
16 hours
MALACCA: The Malacca government has stopped issuing family entertainment licences in the state to make way for a review on the existing licensed operators, said Malacca Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron. He said the move was to identify the operators who had been abusing such licences by turning the outlets into gambling dens, although the state government had previously reviewed and issued the licences. Idris also said the cessation period had not been decided as the state government needed to obtain the right data including the existing number of such licences that had been issued. "I have taken the advice by Inspector-General of Police (Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar) before this and I want to see how many family entertainment licences had been issued so far. "Thus, the state government has taken a big step, namely to stop the issuance of the licence until all the existing operators have adhered to the set terms," he told reporters after the Umno Helps the People programme and the handing over of assistance to the Melaka Umno Division here today.
Southern Daily Echo
17 hours
The Iran Project
18 hours
Western Morning News
18 hours
Another storm is heading towards Devon - and the Met Office says it is set to bring another big lightning storm. The county could be braced for another evening of torrential rain and dazzling lightning, following Friday's unforgettable weather. Weather experts said shortly after 10am this morning: Further storms with frequent lightning are currently crossing the English Channel from France and heading towards Southwest England. The Met Office had already issued a yellow weather...
Lincolnshire Echo
18 hours
The Sun Daily - World News
19 hours
Police have issued a photograph of Abedi, a 22-year-old Briton born to Libyan parents, taken on Monday night before he blew himself up and said they believed he had assembled his bomb in an apartment in the city centre. British officials have confirmed he had recently returned from Libya and the officers said police needed information about his movements from May 18 when he returned to Britain. Abdedi was known to British security services before the bombing, the government has said, but Rudd declined to comment on exactly what had been known about him. Media have reported that people who knew Abedi had raised concerns about him and his views as long ago as five years before he carried about Monday's attack. "The intelligence services are still collecting information about him but I wouldn't rush to conclusions, as you seem to be, that they have somehow missed something," Rudd said. — Reuters
Washington Free Beacon
20 hours
Washington Free Beacon
21 hours
Coventry Telegraph
21 hours
EDIS Tsunami Alert
a day
Daily Express
a day
EDIS Tsunami Alert
a day
West Briton
a day
A 15-year-old boy has died after taking what is suspected to be the recreational drug MDMA at a youth disco. Devon and Cornwall Police have now issued a warning in the wake of the tragedy. The force said that it was informed on Saturday morning that the teenager had been admitted to North Devon District Hospital after taking the drug at an event in Ilfracombe on Friday. Read more: Elderly man dies after Arch Hill crash He died in the early hours of Saturday morning and his next of kin...
The Sun Daily - World News
a day
Nottingham Evening Post
a day
Magistrates in Nottingham have issued fines to the latest people prosecuted for possessing cannabis.One offender was Kyle Gingell, 27, of Riber Crescent, Basford, whose guilty plea was taken into account when he was sentenced.He had a quantity of cannabis on him in Hucknall on December 5 last year.Gingell was fined £80, ordered to pay costs of £85 and £30 towards victim services.Read more: Man caught trying to throw drugs into HMP RanbyIn a separate case Christopher Wilson, 32,...
Northampton Chronicle & Echo
a day
The Iran Project
a day
The Sun Daily
a day
PETALING JAYA: Think-tank Centre for a Better Tomorrow (Cenbet) has criticised the call for Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng (pix) to stay away from “buka puasaevents, saying it smacks of racial superiority or bigotry. In a media statement issued yesterday, Cenbet Committee Member Derek Low Eng said Malaysians from different backgrounds should be encouraged to take part in the festivities of other communities to enhance inter-racial understanding. “This is pertinent at a time of heightened tension among those from different backgrounds. Asking the Penang Chief Minister to stay away from ‘buka puasaevents is uncalled for and smacks of racial superiority,” he said. “It is even more unfortunate that such calls came on the eve of Ramadan, a month of love, patience, and compassion. Joining other communities in their racial and religious celebrations has been a tradition in our plural society for centuries.